Mentoring is an essential part of what we offer at Grassroots Sailing Centre.
Mentoring is provided as part of the Full Boat Share Membership.
The Mentoring Program follows a Rubric that outlines skills, and utilizes a Skills Tracker form to monitor progress.
Weekly during Sailing season
Thursday evenings (Boat leaves Dock 6:00 p.m.)
Skippering Off Checkout
Verifies that you have the skills to be able to take out Club boats as a Skipper (if you have a Boat Share Membership, and have a qualified Crew)
After becoming a Club Skipper, you are asked to become a Mentor for future mentoring sessions
Club Mentoring Program
The point of the mentoring program is to build the skill and confidence of sailors that have completed the Basic Cruising Standard so that they can confidently and safely command a vessel and crew. This augments the 24 hours on water that comes with the Basic course.
– Skill at sailing techniques
– Good grasp of command – crew understands roles, no surprises
– Able to appropriately respond to situations (e.g. weather, overpowering, breakdown, etc) in a safe and correct manner.
Consistency in training
Some of the skills are practiced whenever we go out, and should be reviewed every time:
– Preparation to depart
– Casting off
– Maneuvering under power, in tight marina
– Preparation, raising sails
– Return, lowering sails
– Docking, snugging down
Other skills we will schedule and practice on specific days. Students will have multiple opportunities to practice each:
– Tacking and Gybing
– Sailing circle / points of sail / heading up / bearing away / holding course
– Reefing foresail and mainsail
– Crew overboard